What is a Young Carer?
A young carer is someone aged 5 to 18 who helps to look after someone in their family, or a friend, due to:-
- Learning disability
- Mental Health needs
- Long term or terminal illness
- Substance dependency
- Sensory Impairment
What might a Young Carer do?
- Practical tasks, like cooking, housework and shopping.
- Physical care, such as helping someone out of bed.
- Emotional support, including talking to someone who is distressed.
- Personal care, such as helping someone dress.
- Managing the family budget and collecting prescriptions.
- Helping to give medicine.
- Helping someone communicate.
- Looking after brothers and sisters.